Eyes may be the mirrors of the soul, but the world is a funhouse of reflective glass, lurking out there, ready to confront you when you least expect it.
Most of us have a love/hate relationships with mirrors. We need them around but often get undone by the person staring back at us.
If we are being efficient and practical, on our way to work or out for some romance, sometimes a mirror can get itself in the same mood and respond accordingly.
- teeth free of celery strings and poppy seeds. ?
- bed head taken care of ?
- tags removed or tucked in ?
- no holes or split seams showing ?
Ready. Set. Good to Go.
If we could be that efficient and get out of the house...we wouldnít have to deal with lunchtime frazzles, make up run off and the dangers of shopping for clothes.
The trouble is that mirrors have minds of their own. Not unlike our own citizenry, mirrors have personality traits that must be analyzed before we can enter a relationship with one.
the person we used to be....younger, crease-free.
Some mirrors are kind and forgiving. They shed a lovely light. In their reflections we see the person we used to be....younger, crease-free. We realize we are still that person. We can see it right in front of us, not just in old pictures from our earlier lives.
But some mirrors are cruel. They torment like bullies during recess.
- Ohmigod, my nose is HUGE. Itís taking over my face. Just like Dickie Lavoie said in fourth grade.
- Yiy, yiy, yiy. My pores are craters. I look like a slab of Jahrlsberg cheese. Who could leave the house looking like this?
- Hey! Lady! (you say) This store has FAT mirrors. Talk to management, will you? Nothing looks good in here. Six dresses and they all show me with a pooch. I didnít have a pooch in my mirror at home.
Iím thinking that the rise of interest in candles and candle making is a direct reflection (as it were) of Mirror Torment. Yes, wonderful new candles smell terrific. Yes, we can buy mood enhancers for Peace and Passion and Wisdom.
But frankly, I think we are stocking up on candles because we all look pretty damn good in candlelight. You donít believe me? Set a candle in front of your mirrors. Other than creating even more ambient lighting, every time you look in the glass you will hear, ďYou. Look. Marrrrrvellllous.Ē